This morning I was lucky enough to host a panel featuring some of the top business development professionals from some of our best professional services firms. I asked them what were the top myths they'd like to bust about sales.
Here's the 'busted' excuses:
1. We lost on price.
2. So long as we're at the top of the league tables, we'll be fine.
3. General Counsel will only talk to other lawyers.
4. If a partner is good with people, they'll be great at BD.
5. If we fill out that pipeline form our problems will be solved.
The panel formed part of APSMA's 2014 No Limits conference. The panelists were:
- Bruce Cooper, Deputy Chief Executive Partner, Clayton Utz
- James Taylor, National Leader Sales and Bids Team, Deloitte
- Paul Bonomy, Chief Marketing Officer, Herbert Smith Freehills
- Sonia Adams, Client Liaison, GHD